Raven hires two more Ones
The One Who Sneaked In Through The Back Door
Tim Ambler has joined Raven Internet Marketing Tools as a software developer. Tim has more than 10 years of experience in web application development and user interface design. He previously served as senior interactive application developer for 20|20 Research.
Usually Scott Holdren, Raven’s director of technologism, says a little something about why he hired a particular developer, but he forgot to check his IM when I asked about Tim.* So without further ado, here’s what you need to know about Mr. Ambler, via questions he picked out from the famous Vanity Fair Proust questionnaire.
- What is your greatest fear? Getting a paper cut. Those things seriously freak me out.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Difficulty relaxing and being in the moment. I’ve always got several thoughts running through my head.
- Where would you like to live? Someplace warm and sunny, where the people are friendly, there’s plenty to do, but also someplace that’s not too big to lose “small city” charm. Oh wait, I already live there.
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “That’s what she said.” “To be honest.” “Get off my lawn.”
- What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Monotony. Doing the same thing over and over, without opportunity to learn, grow or improve your situation.
- What do you most value in your friends? Loyalty and sincerity. Also good looks.
- What is your favorite journey? 1981-1983. The one where they released “Escape.” “Who’s Cryin’ Now,” “Don’t Stop Believin’,” “Open Arms”…Hard to go wrong with that Journey.
- On what occasion do you lie? When filling out questionnaires.
- What do you dislike most about your appearance? Too much sexy.
- What is your motto? It takes a big man to cry. But it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
The One Who Might Actually Be a Pirate
Drew Celley has joined Raven Internet Marketing Tools as the Internet swashbuckler. He has more than 15 years of experience wrangling systems for Internet companies. He’s previously worked at Lockerz as systems administrator and redemption manager.
As for why we hired him, Scott said: “We went to Vaco and asked for a badass Linux dude who could float like a ninja, sting like a samurai. So they sent us Drew.”
More about said badass:
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Things to do, toys to play with, and people to share the experience with. Sometimes a trip or a good party.
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Indeed, excellent, freaking awesome.
- What or who is the greatest love of your life? My wife, Dr. ECHo. We make a great team. We’ve moved mountains together. We’ve also moved over mountains together.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? My work on the Internets. I help make the Internets go.
- Where would you like to live? I like to live in different places. Nashville is new to me, and I’m enjoying the chance to check out a new city.
- What is your favorite occupation? Internet Swashbuckler
- Who are your favorite writers? Andre Norton, Isaac Asimov, Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Robert Heinlein, William Shakespeare
- Who is your favorite hero of fiction? Captain Kirk, from Star Trek.
- If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be? A cloud of gas, or a loose association of rocks in space.
- If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be? A king or emperor over a vast empire of many worlds.
In case you’re counting, Raven has doubled its team in less than one year. Here’s how the departments break down:
- Development: 8
- Customer Care: 4
- Marketing and Communications: 4
- Check Signing: 3
* Scott finally checked his IM. “Tim is experienced with building highly functional web applications,” Scott wrote. “He also took out an AdWords ad for his name that said we should hire him.”