Moniker.com Domain Registrar Acquired by Oversee.net for $65 Million
I first heard about Moniker.com at a PubCon conference several years ago. Although I’ve never used them — for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of their service — they’ve been a high profile sponsor of PubCon events and have steadily become one of the top three fastest growing ICANN-accredited registrars.
Most recently, they held a domain name auction at the PubCon conference in Las Vegas that raked in $326,650. The highlights of the auction were:
- SoccerTV.com for $80,000
- Grandpa.com for $55,000
- FamilyServices.com for $45,000
- BlindDating.com for $14,000
TechCrunch reported that moniker.com has become a leader in the continually growing second domain names market. Moniker.com’s industry reputation, growing services and niche approach to the industry is probably what made them a desirable acquisition for Oversee.net
The Oversee.net $65 million acquisition of moniker.com came just six months after their acquisition of SnapNames. Oversee.net already has plans to quickly utilized both companies in a complimentary fashion. Their first duo use of the moniker.com and SnapNames services will at DOMAINFest Global later this month. They plan to use moniker.com for valuation and escrow services, in conjunction with their SnapNames Live domain name auction.
Oversee.net’s public plans for moniker.com include more integrated services, such as:
- Deepening Moniker’s continuing commitment to its auction partners through the use of the SnapNames Live technology in Moniker-managed auctions
- The addition of DomainSponsor as an available option in Moniker’s TrafficClub monetization service
- Availability of Moniker’s registrar services for SnapNames and DomainSponsor customers
- Inclusion of traffic and monetization history as data for domain name auctions
- A complete set of Domain Asset Management services that offer domain owners all the tools necessary to profitably manage their domains
Commenting on the transaction, Moniker CEO Cahn said:
“Oversee’s advanced technology platform and strong financial resources give us the capability to focus on further expanding our market opportunity. This is a dynamic industry, and our collaboration with SnapNames puts Oversee well ahead of any competitor. This is a tremendous opportunity for Oversee and Moniker.”
Ultimately, it will be interesting to see how Oversee.net grows this domain registrar acquisition, and if we can ever expect to see them compete more in the consumer and small business market with the likes of GoDaddy.