Did you know? Use Google Drive to make CSV files Raven-friendly
Importing with a CSV file is a fast way to get all your data into Raven.
If you upload a CSV file that doesn’t use UTF-8 encoding, you’ll see the following error:
If you see this, first run a search to see what settings you may be able to change in your current spreadsheet editing program. You can search for something like “MyProgram 2007 csv UTF-8 encoding”.
If that doesn’t work, you can convert the file to use UTF-8 encoding manually. There are a number of ways to do this including using a text editor, but my favorite way uses Google Drive. Here’s how it works.
Run a CSV through Google Drive to convert it to a UTF-8 encoded CSV
- Open Google Drive.
- Click Gear Icon > Upload Settings > “Convert uploaded files to Google Docs format”. If you don’t do this, Google Drive may convert your CSV file into a text document rather than into a spreadsheet.
- Click the Upload Icon > Files and upload you CSV file to Google Drive.
- Once the file is uploaded to Drive, click to open it. (If the file was saved as a document rather than a spreadsheet, try steps 2 and 3 again.)
- Click File > Download as > “CSV (current sheet)” and save the new file.
- In Site > Keywords or Links > Link Manager, click the Import Data icon and upload the new CSV file.
That’s it – your CSV file is ready for Raven!
Know a quicker way to convert? Leave a comment and let me know.