Email Marketing Design Guidelines
CampaignMonitor has put together 6 guidelines for creating marketing based email messages. These rules are useful to anyone who sends email messages for newsletters and opt-in mailing lists. The guidelines are below, and a full reasoning for each guideline can be found at the CampaignMonitor Blog.
- Never use images for important content like headlines, links and any calls to action.
- Use alt text for all images for a better experience in Gmail and always add the height and width to the image to ensure that the blank placeholder image doesn’t throw your design out.
- Add a text-based link to a web version of your design at the top of your email.
- Ensure your most compelling content is at the top (and preferably to the left).
- Test your design in a preview pane, full screen and with images turned on and off before you send it.
- Ask your subscriber to add your From address to their address book at every opportunity.